Registration - EU applicants
Registration - non-EU applicants
Studies prepare for:
The graduale may take up a ajob as team member or head of a team working as a: laboratory analyst, specialist in quality control, specialist in drug registration, microbiologist, biochemist, geneticist, biotechnologist, biologist, laboratory technician in industrial research centers, in control and diagnostic laboratories, in pharmaceutical companies, in institutions monitoring environment and in public offices responsible for protection and management of natural resources, etc.
A master’s degree entitles you to:
- progress to PhD programmes
- progress to postgraduate studies
Visit our Facebook profile!
Institute of Biological Sciences KUL.
Compulsory work placements
- Work placements in laboratories of industrial companies, research and development al centers, analytical and diagnostics laboratories – places for internships are guaranteed in enterprises and institutions ccoperating during development and providing the study (Adamed group, Biomaxima S.A, Stacja Chemiczno-Rolnicza, Grupa Azoty) and others – within the offers available in the KUL’s Career Centre.
Optional work placements
- It is possibile to gain additional experience within internships, traineeships and study visits in modern laboratories of the Interdisciplinary Research Centre of KUL and in institutions cooperating during conducting the study
- Students, who are interested to deepen their knowledge may take part in the activities of the scientific circle of Biotechnology students (e.g. they may take part in the organization of scientific conferences and research work conducted at the Faculty)
Skills acquired by Biotechnology graduates
Knowledge in the field of: analytical techniques and research tools based on and applied in biological sciences.
- knowledge in the field of: biology and statistical analysis, which enables to apply and develop in a consciously and advanced manner analytical techniques
- knowledge in the field of basics in planning work using analytical techniques and tools applied in biological sciences and risk management
- knowledge of the principles of proceedings during performing business duties resulting from occupational ethics and legal regulations
- knowledge in quality assurances at the stage of development, production and quality control of biotechnology and pharmaceutical products and principles of laboratory accreditation
- knowledge in other disciplines necessary for work in modern laboratories, e.g. optics, mathematics, information technology, programming
- knowledge in principles for running individual business activities, enterprise and analysis of the market for biotechnology products and services
- application of advanced analytical techniques and research tools in diagnostics and control laboratories and research institutions
- application of the principles in the work under aseptic conditions
- conducting environmental analyses in the field of phytochemistry, biochemistry and evaluation of the quality of environment (water, air, soil)
- application of advanced information technologies, programming, machine learning, skills solving complex problems, work in interdisciplinary teams within Biotechnology 2.0
- skills in preparing research procedures, reports and obligatory documents, application for funding of research and development projects, patent application
- skills in describing problems and determing research and implementation goals, planning the realization and risk management
- skills in analyzing the Direktion of development within the branch, planning and development of own competences and career
- very good practical knowledge of English, including specialist vocabulary in various fields of biology, statistics and analytics
- ability to prepare oral presentations using various media (multimedia, videoconferences) in the mother language and English
- ability to cooperate and work in industry, interdisciplinary and international teams undertaking different roles in them
- reading and understanding of complex scientific texts in English, producing grant applications and reports in professional work
- knowledge of entrepreneurship principles
- identification, evaluation and risk management in professional activity
- knowledge of the principles of creating, working and developing individual entrepreneurship
- market analysis in the field of biotechnology products and services
- knowledge of how to obtain national and European funds for scientific research and application projects in the field of bioanalysis
- ability to correctly identify and resolve ethical dilemmas related to the profession
- knowledge of forms and procedures of the protection of intellectual property, obtaining patents and using patent information
- during practical classes, special attention is paid to obtaining competences necessary for self-employment and valued on the labor market, such as independence, adaptability, honesty and creativity
- ability to use specialized software for operating research, diagnostic and control apparatus as well as analysis and preparation of results
- using the office package, statistical programs and specialized software applied in analytical laboratories
- describing and interpreting natural phenomena as well as analyzing and verifying research results based on statistical methods
- ability to critically select information available from various sources
- skills in modern information technologies
- ability to design and describe procedures and prepare reports
- advanced knowledge of biochemistry, microbiology, biology as well as statistics enabling the development of the research procedure and the correct interpretation of the results obtained
- knowledge and application of the method of creative problem solving “design thinking”
- following and understanding specialized scientific literature
- knowledge of the principles of planning research using research techniques and tools applying in the field of biotechnology, biochemistry, analysis of biological samples
- designing a scientific experiment and properly determining the priorities for the implementation of the task
- respecting the ethics during planning and conducting research experiments
BA diploma in the following fields of study: Biotechnology, Biology, Microbiology, Environmental Engineering, Environment Protection, Genetics, Bioengineering or related.
The above programmes must be accomplished within one of the following branch of science:
- exact and natural sciences
- engineering and technical sciences
- agricultural sciences
Admission on the basis of the final grade for the diploma examination.
An applicant while registering is required to submit:
- one of the certificates confirming English proficiency at level B2. HERE you can find the LIST OF CERTIFICATES CONFIRMING ENGLISH PROFICIENCY – English B2 Certificates
Visit “Study in English” page to get more information about procedure, documents and fees.