Registration - EU applicants
Registration - non-EU applicants
Studies prepare for:
The graduate may take up a job as team member or head of a team working as a: biotechnologist, microbiologist, biochemist, geneticist, biologist, laboratory analyst, laboratory technician, quality assurance specialist, specialist for drug registration in industrial research centres that use biotechnology processes, in research, control and diagnostic laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, plant breeding stations, institutions for public economics, environmental protection agencies and departments of natural resources management, etc.
A master’s degree entitles you to:
- progress to PhD programmes
- progress to postgraduate studies
Visit our Facebook profile!
Optional work placements
- possibility to take part in study visits in selected biotechnology companies
- work placements in industrial plants, laboratories, research institutions or others (offer available at the KUL’s Careers Centre) – according to own predispositions, interests and labour market needs
- internships and study visits at modern and specialized laboratories of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Scientific Research of the Catholic University of Lublin
Students who want to deepen their knowledge can participate in scientific circle of Biotechnology students (e.g. through organization of conferences and engagement in research work conducted at the faculty).
- work in project groups, developing solutions for biotechnology companies, funded by the University through EU funds by the project: “Integrated programme for increasing competences of students and workers from the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin
- students can do internships in enterprises and institutions cooperating with the University, including within the Employers’ Council
Skills acquired by Biotechnology graduates
Knowledge in the field of biochemistry and biology, laboratory techniques and research tools.
- knowledge in the field of: biochemistry, microbiology and biology; statistics that enables to describe and interpret natural phenomena
- ability to write obligatory specification documents, like research procedure and instruction
- ethical behavior for the time of planning and conducting the research experiments
- knowledge of principles in research planning using techniques and tools applied in the field of biotechnology
- knowledge of quality assurance at the stage of development, production and quality control of the biotechnology product
- ability to obtain the rights under the external certification course: “Quality and Internal Audit Specialist”
- application of research techniques and tools in the field of natural sciences, in particular in biotechnology
- free extra certificate courses: “Advanced chromatographic techniques” and “Flow cytometry”
- application of statistic methods in interpretation of natural processes, analysis and verification of experimental results
- practical application of the work principles in aseptic conditions
- ability of undertaking basic diagnostic analysis
- possess effective presentation skills with usage of multimedia tools
- is able to work in a team taking up different roles
- students can participate in extra classes certified by an appropriate diploma: “Self-presentation in a business situation”, “Effective communication”, “Teamwork skills”, “Dealing with stress”, “Leaders’ course”
- opportunity to participate in course certified by an appropriate diploma: “Specialized English Language in Biology”
- knowledge of specialized vocabulary in the field of biotechnology in English
- comprehensive reading of complex scientific texts in English
- knowledge of the principles of creating, working and developing an individual entrepreneurship
- market analysis of biotechnological products and services
- know how to apply for national and EU funds for research and application projects in biotechnology
- ability to correctly identify and resolve ethical dilemmas related to the profession
- knowledge of the basics in intellectual property protection, obtaining patents, and using patent information
- extra-classes in economy and self-employment certified by diplomas: “Basic economy for non-economists”, “Individual enterprise – how to open and run a business”, “Project management”
- during laboratory classes, great emphasize on obtaining skills necessary and valued on the market and for self-employment: independence, adaptability, honesty, creativity
- can apply specialized software to operate research equipment, analyze and compile experimental results
- using MS office software, statistical and specialized programs applied in biotechnology
- extra – classes : “The creative mind in data analysis”
- describing and interpreting natural phenomena as well as analyzing and verifying research results based on statistical methods
- critical selection of available information from various sources
- knowledge of biochemistry, microbiology, biology and statistics enabling to develop research procedures and correctly interpret obtained results
- understand and track specialized scientific literature
- knowledge of the principles of research planning using research techniques and tools applied in biotechnology
- can design a scientific experiment and determine the priorities for its implementation
- follows ethical rules during planning and conducting research experiments
BA diploma in the following fields of study: Biotechnology, Biology, Microbiology, Environmental Engineering, Environment Protection or related.
The above programmes must be accomplished within one of the following branch of science:
- exact and natural sciences
- engineering and technical sciences
- health sciences
- agricultural sciences
Admission on the basis of the final grade for the diploma examination.
In some cases upon verification of learning outcomes stated in BA diploma additional courses for the completion can be indicated.
An applicant while registering is required to submit:
- one of the certificates confirming English proficiency at level B2. HERE you can find the LIST OF CERTIFICATES CONFIRMING ENGLISH PROFICIENCY – English B2 Certificates
Visit “Study in English” page to get more information about procedure, documents and fees.