KUL Logo

Legalization of Educational Documents

!!! The educational documents must be certified with apostille or legalized !!!


The apostille can be issued by Designated Competent Authorities in a state which is a party to the Hague Convention. The list of countries and institutions authorised to issue the Apostille is available here: Apostille – Competent Authorities by country.


All educational documents must be officially legalized in a state, which is not a party to the Hague Convention. The legalization of the educational documents can be done by the competent education authorities (for example the Ministry of Education) of the country on which territory or education system the certificate was issued. After legalization educational documents must be submitted for the final checking to the consul of the Republic of Poland at diplomatic or consular mission, competent for the country on which territory or in which education system the certificate was issued.


If the original documents are not in Polish, a certified translation must also be provided. Each page of an official translation must bear the translator’s stamp and/or signature, i.e. should be done by:
• person entered into the registry of sworn translators and interpreters kept by the Polish Minister of Justice. The list of sworn translators you can find here: https://arch-bip.ms.gov.pl/pl/rejestry-i-ewidencje/tlumacze-przysiegli/lista-tlumaczy-przysieglych/search.html?City=Lublin&Language=1 or
• person registered in an equivalent function to the Polish sworn translator in a Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, or
• Polish consul proper for the country where the document was issued, or
• diplomatic mission, accredited in Poland


Recognition of foreign secondary school certificate in Polandmake sure to have your certificate recognised. Before recognition procedure foreign secondary school certificate must be stamped with the apostille seal or legalized by the authorities of the state in the education system of which was issued.

1) Documents recognized by operation of law in Poland:
• certificate, diploma or other document issued within the education system of one of EU, EFTA or OECD member states that entitles to apply for admission to a higher education program in the state of issuance;
• IB diploma (International Baccalaureate);
• EB diploma (European Baccalaureate);
• certificates issued in countries with which Poland has signed bilateral agreements concerning the recognition of education (at present: Belarus, China, Ukraine); certificates issued under the agreements which expired are recognized on the basis of those agreements.
2) Documents which require recognition procedure in Poland:
• certificate, diploma or other document which is not mentioned above. Recognition of certificate must be done by Province Education Superintendent (Kuratorium Oświaty) in Lublin. Applicants to BA programmes upon receiving decision of acceptance need to submit a decision on recognition not later than 21 October.

!!! Some important information concerning recognition of Secondary School Certificate !!!

Documents required in recognition procedure
Please note – is it obligatory to fix up following documents not later than 30th September:
• Application for recognition (collect in Admissions Office KUL)
• Secondary School Certificate – with apostille or legalized with copy
• Polish sworn translation of Secondary School Certificate with copy
• Copy of passport data page and visa with the original passport for inspection