Registration - EU applicants
Registration - non-EU applicants
The studies prepare for:
- Practicing as a professional journalist or as a media worker in press, radio, television and Internet.
- Related professions: public relations specialist (PR agencies), marketing and communication specialist (local government units and agencies), Internet marketing specialist, Internet analyst, press spokesperson, media and communication consultant (political institutions, business institutions, parliamentary and election campaign offices, non-government organizations), photographer, computer graphic designer.
The studies enable acquisition of professional workshop knowledge of a journalist or social communication specialist.
The professional degree of a Bachelor of Social Science in the field of Journalism and Social Communication entitles to:
- apply for MA programmes
- continue education on postgraduate courses
- Mandatory internship: 120 hours of professional training in: traditional or Internet-based editorial offices, public relations companies or agencies, advertising agencies, marketing offices, press offices, central and local government institutions, non-government organizations etc.
- Facultative internship: offer provided by the University’s Career Office in accordance with personal predispositions, interests and market needs.
As part of practical training, one may take part in social academic activities such as: Journalism and Social Communications Students’ Research Association, press offices of ”Coś nowego” quarterly, Photographic Gallery Fotpress, and Television Agency Passion TV; co-organizing Contest of Media Knowledge, Contest on Knowledge of Film and Mass Communication, The Rhetoric Competition.
Skills acquired by Journalism and Social Communication graduates
- Information-gathering skills;
- Journalistic material preparation in accordance with form and genre;
- Attitude ensuring ethical standards of moral behavior;
- The knowledge of the legal bases necessary for journalistic work;
- Teamworking skills.
- Using ICT and mobile devices for journalistic work and Internet media research;
- Developing, editing and publishing journalistic materials for the Web;
- Establishing and maintaining internet editorial office
- The utilization of various radio and television specific journalistic genres;
- Preparing and editing basic radio and television genres;
- Operating recording equipment and editing footage using computer software;
- Practical knowledge on building PR strategies, maintaining a positive image of an organization and creating a variety of promotional activities;
- The knowledge about the work of spokespersons;
- Practical knowledge in the field of creating and implementing advertising strategies and promotional materials as well as working in advertising agencies.
- The use of communication techniques, e.g. for self-presentation;
- Coping with stress;
- Caring for the language culture;
- The knowledge and application of negotiation and dialogue techniques;
- Possessing effective public speaking and debating skills.
- Is able to speak English (or any other foreign language) at the B2 level of the European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Skills in negotiating and deal making;
- Networking skills;
- The ability to conduct job interviews;
- Creating a professional self-development plan;
- The ability to set up and run a simple business.
- The knowledge and use of MS Office environment in journalistic work: Word, Power Point, Excel and other useful computer programs and applications;
- Using basic graphic and editing programs;
- Radio and television editing using a computer program.
- Has elementary research skills allowing to analyze research data as well as to construct and conduct simple media studies; is able to formulate conclusions, develop and present results (using ICT) and indicate directions for further research
- Is able to assess the usefulness of standard methods, procedures and good practices for the implementation of tasks related to different spheres of social communication.
- Is ready to undertake master’s level studies.